Printer-friendly version Print this page
There are 21 million children under age 6 in this country.1 Almost 13 million of them are placed in non-parental child care during some portion of the day.2 About 29% of these children are in center-based care, including day care centers, Head Start programs, and nursery schools.3 The other 71% of these children are in non-center-based care, including family child care, in-home child care and care by a relative.4 Approximately two-million children nationally are cared for in family childcare.5 In Philadelphia, residential home-based childcare facilities provide service to more than 36,000 children under age six.6 As a result of a number of factors including location, convenience and cost; the majority of these home-based programs serve children from low-income inner city families. Due to the age and deteriorating nature of the housing stock in the city, these children are at risk of exposure to many residential health hazards prevalent in these communities. Many of these children also suffer from disparities in health care that further heightens their risk. Healthy Homes for Childcare (HHCC) is an initiative of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) and community based organizations designed and implemented to reduce the number of environmental health and safety hazards present in participating residential childcare facilities. Federal funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Healthy Homes & Lead Hazard Control, has led to an innovative partnership between local health officials, nonprofit public health providers and the state to improve policy and practice for protecting the environmental health and safety of children through Philadelphia’s Healthy Homes for Child Care (HHCC) program. The initiative involves 1) facility risk assessment, 2) tailored intervention delivery, and 3) hazard remediation. Evaluation of data collected in participant homes indicated that the majority of the facilities were not adequately maintained, and suffered varying degrees of deterioration. Providers of home-based childcare have multiple priorities. While protecting children in their care from environmental health and safety risks should be a priority, it competes with running a business and surviving on a slim profit margin. Among the most common hazards identified are: peeling paint; inadequate ventilation; mold; water damage; inadequate flooring; pest infestations; clutter; and various safety concerns. City and State licensing requirements for childcare do not address most environmental public health hazards. Inspections of family childcare homes are conducted at point of issuance of permit, but periodically afterwards. This project proposes to provide a thorough EHS inspection of the childcare home and EHS education/training to providers, prior to receipt of certification to provide childcare service. The key to improving safety at all childcare centers is to improve awareness," says Ken Giles, a spokesperson for the CPSC, Uncovering Daycare Dangers-Parenting.com7 Note: These documents have not been revised or edited to conform to agency standards. The findings and conclusions in these reports are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.