Joseph M. Malinowski, BS, REHS
Boulder County Public Health
Boulder, CO 80304
Joseph Malinowski has been a Registered Environmental Health Specialist with the Environmental Health Division of Boulder County Public Health in Colorado for almost eleven years. In his role as Consumer Protection Program Coordinator, Joseph is responsible for the Food Safety, Vector Surveillance/Control, and Body Art programs.
Prior to Boulder County Public Health, Joseph was the Environmental Health Manager for the Rural Lakes Region, a coalition of seven counties in central Kansas. The Rural Lakes Region was responsible for developing and enforcing sanitation codes for domestic water wells and individual sewage disposal systems.
Joseph has a dual BS in Biology from Kansas State University. He is also a graduate of the Regional Institute for Health and Environmental Leadership in Colorado. Joseph has been recognized by the Colorado Environmental Health Association with an Environmental Achievement Award for outstanding achievement in the field of environmental health.
Leadership Development Opportunities
I have truly appreciated the opportunity to advance my leadership skills over the last year by participating in the Environmental Public Health Leadership Institute class of 2007-2008. Currently there is a great need for a new kind of leadership, because of the challenges to health and the environment have never been greater, and because old leadership practices are no longer effective in our very complex social, political, and economic arena. Because of the training received and the interaction with a diverse group of environmental health professionals, I feel confident in:
- Understanding the systems approach and facilitating its use.
- Using a variety of leadership styles, as appropriate to the situation.
- Using the political process effectively to manage change.
- Identifying and resolving emerging public health crises.
- Developing organizational values and promoting ethical behavior.
- Developing and implementing evaluation systems.
- Planning strategically.
- Building community collaborations/coalitions/task forces.
- Inspiring and appealing for needed change.
- Negotiating to mediate disputes or resolve conflicts.
I will continue to use, benefit, and build on these skills both in my professional and private life, with the goal of inspiring others to do the same.